I posted earlier about moving from Blogger to Hugo and it has been a couple of months so I thought that I share my thoughts on how Hugo has been working out.
- Markdown is ideal for writing articles and blog posts especially if you fall into the distraction free school of writing.
- The formatting of code snippets is a lot better then what’s available on Blogger.
- Able to version control everything since everything is available as static files.
- Site generation is fast and deployment is quick and easy.
- Easy to work offline.
- Allows the use of HTTPS!
- Navigating and finding files gets troublesome when the archive becomes large.
- VIM is not great for writing prose.
- Not being in the Cloud means losing the convienience of being able to work from any browser just by logging in.
- Having to remember to sync with Github in case there are edits done elsewhere.
- Consistency of quality in available themes.
- Having to maintain the software (upgrading Hugo, configuring web server/app engine).
- Markdown requires more work inserting links, images, etc.
Basically, there are gains to switching to Hugo as well as some inconveniences.