Found original recipe here: http://www.redcook.net/2008/01/18/hong-shao-rou-red-cooked-pork/
- 1 1⁄2 lb. pork belly meat cut into two inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled
- 1-2 whole star anise
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (老抽)
- 1⁄4 cup rice wine (紹興酒)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- Melt the sugar with some water in a small pot over medium high heat. Continue heating until the sugar is slightly brown.
- Brown the cubed pork in the pot
- Add brown it with the caramelized sugar. About 8 minutes.
- Put the garlic, star anise,soy sauce, rice wine and clear stock into the pot. Cover the pot and simmer over low heat. Cook for about 40 minutes. Stir the meat every 10 minutes to make sure the bottom of the pot does not get burnt. Remove the cover and turn the heat to medium high. Cook the meat for another 10 minutes until the sauce reduces to a smooth consistency.
- This dish, like most stew dishes, is better if left overnight and reheated the next day.